Moffat & Co Solicitors

Moffat & Co Solicitors
Accident Compensation Claim Solicitors Scotland
PO Box 28287
0131 662 6988
0131 667 8175

MASS Motor Accident Solicitors Society

Moffat & Co Solicitors Over 25 years of experience at your service

Car Insurance Premiums

How to keep the cost of your car insurance premiums down.

The AA has told the Transport Select Committee that the rising cost of car insurance premiums is in danger of becoming unsustainable. According to the AA’s figures, the cost of car insurance has risen by almost 40% in the last year, with younger drivers seeing an increase of around 51%. A major factor behind the rising costs seems to be the rise in the number of road accident compensation claims. Duncan Anderson of EMB Consultancy revealed that: “bodily injury claims are increasing at a rate of 30% and other claims types are increasing by 5% a year. Overall there might be a 15% to 20% natural increase in claims costs if things continue as they are which will be reflected in ever increasing premiums.”

A costly investment

Owning and running a car is one of the most costly investments any of us can make. Not only is there fuel, maintenance and tax to pay for, but it is also a legal requirement that any vehicle has to be insured if it is to be used on the road. However, while the cost of petrol and road tax are non-negotiable, there are a number steps a driver can take to help keep the cost of their insurance premiums to a minimum.

When applying for car insurance, it is a good idea to sensibly consider how much mileage you will do. For an insurer, the formula is a simple one: the more time you spend on the road, the greater the possibility that you will be involved in an accident. By overestimating, you are likely to pay more than you need. Conversely, underestimating how much you drive could jeopardise any claim you make. Keeping a log of your mileage each year is a simple way of ensuring that your estimation is an accurate one.

Keeping your car safe

Security is an important factor for insurance companies. The safer your car, the lower your premiums will be. Adding alarms, immobilizers and tracking devices to your vehicle will show insurers that you take your security seriously and help to keep the cost of insurance down. Even keeping your car in a garage as opposed to on the roadside can impact positively on your premium.

Perhaps the best way to keep your costs down is to maintain good driving habits. A driver with a good driving history is much more likely to be offered lower premiums than someone with a catalogue of accidents and speeding penalties behind them. In addition, it pays to remember that making a compensation claim does not automatically raise your premiums. If you are claiming for an accident that was not your fault, then you should not expect to see a hike in your insurance costs. As a gesture of good faith, many drivers opt to pay a higher excess charge than they might normally, which encourages an insurance company to believe that you are prepared to shoulder a portion of the responsibility of driving. Driver who opt only to pay the minimum excess charge are sending the message to their insurers that they expect them to cover the cost of every mistake that they make.

By adopting a positive driving attitude and a pro-active approach to safety and security, you can offset the rising cost of insurance premiums and still be sure that, in the event of an accident, your premiums won’t skyrocket next time you renew your policy.

Bookmark With:

Need An Edinburgh Solicitor?

For immediate expert assistance please call us on
0131 662 6988 or complete our free online enquiry form.

Thinking about making a claim?

Call back?


Since contacting Stan I was continously informed of the development and progress of each step of my claim. Stan was persistent and patient throughout the whole process and reassured me he would win me the compensation I deserved - and he was true to his word. I am extremely happy with the outcome of my claim and this is all thanks to Stan.


My case was dealt with personally by Stan Moffat and what a brilliant guy. His office contacted me personally by telephone at the start of my claim to explain who they were and what they would be doing for me. All through the case I was kept fully informed of all actions either by e-mail or by letter and reassured by Stan several times of any queries I had.

It is very seldom that a solicitor will take the time to speak personally at any time with you without getting run through secretaries etc. I commend this man for that as this was a very upsetting and important time for me and he did everything in his power to make this as easy and as swift as possible for me.

I highly recommend the service that this firm brings and the speed that they move at.

J McMahon

© Moffat & Co Solicitors, Edinburgh, Scotland. Call 0131 662 6988. This web site has been developed with valid XHTML / CSS / Site Map Legal Website Design